How to apply skateboard grip tape tutorial
Applying and cutting skateboard grip tape is one of the easiest concepts to understand yet quite hard to master. This tutorial is intended to show you what tools you need and how to apply grip tape to your skateboard deck - remember, practice makes perfect, the more you do the better you'll get!
Make sure to watch the video tutorial below to give you a visual idea of what you need to do.
How to grip a skateboard.
What you will need:
- Skateboard Deck
- Hand File/Large Screwdriver
- Small Screwdriver/Bradawl
- Sharp Knife
- Grip Tape Sheet
Apply grip tape to the skateboard deck
- Remove self adhesive backing from the grip tape
- Apply grip tape to the deck being careful to roll it on rather than place
- Make sure there are no air bubbles
Scoring the shape of the skateboard
- Take your Hand File/Large Screwdriver and score around all of the edges
- Make sure you press down hard to ensure the grip tape is easier to cut
- After scoring around all of the edges you should have a perfect shape of the skateboard
Cutting the grip tape
- Make sure you have a sharp knife
- ALWAYS have adult supervision
- Cut an entry point to where you want to start cutting the grip against the deck
- Keeping the blade at a 45 degree angle against the skateboard use the contours of the deck and the shape you scored to cut the grip tape
- Rest the knife against the deck to help guide you - but don't point it in towards your deck as you'll take a chunk out!!
- It's never advised to bring the blade towards you but it does help when cutting grip tape - never force anything if you get stuck!
- Use your hand file to re-score the edges of the skateboard
- This is to ensure your grip tape is fully stuck down at the edges
- It's also a good time to check if there's any air bubbles left and smooth them down
Punch out holes for truck bolts
- Use your small screwdriver/bradawl to punch holes in the grip tape using the truck bolt holes as a guide
- Punch through all 8 holes
- Turn deck over and neaten up holes - not necessary but looks good!
That should be it, a nice clean grip job and ready to attach your trucks and wheels and rock!
Check out the Skateboard Decks we have now at Dissent HERE. And we will fit the grip tape for FREE if you want..just let us know at checkout. And remember, if you spend over £50 it's also FREE SHIPPING!